Download Mahan Kosh PDF
Mahan Kosh was the first Punjabi Encyclopedia with more than 70000 words written by famous Sikh Scholar Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha. The complete name of Mahan Kosha is Guru Shabad Ratnakar Mahan Kosh Considered one of the greatest works in the Punjabi language and was first published in 1927. It took Bhai Kahn Singh 14 years to complete this work beginning in 1912.
|Book||Mahan Kosh - Guru Shabad Ratnakar|
|Writer||Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha|
|Publisher||Dera Rara Sahib|
It is generally considered an encyclopedia of Sikh literature, but it is, in fact, much more. Its remarkable coverage and exemplary accuracy have a multitude of entries ranging from brief definitions of difficult words from Guru Granth Sahib Ji, the scriptures, and tradition, through descriptive notes on various doctrines, individuals, and institutions to accounts of the Gurus. Mahan Kosha gives a careful treatment of terminology, which has dropped out of usage or changed its meaning.
An epic Creation of Punjabi literature
- On May 12, 1912, Bhai Kahan Singh Nabha resigned as Nabha King’s personal secretary to start work on ‘Mahan Kosh’.
- His original patron Maharaja Brijindra Singh of Faridkot state died in 1918.
- Another patron Maharaja Ripudaman Singh was forced to give up his throne in 1923.
- Maharaja Bhupinder Singh of Patiala then offered to bear the expense of printing.
- The work was finished on February 6, 1926, and printed in October 1927 at an Amritsar press owned by poet Dhani Ram Chatrik.
- Called 1st Punjabi encyclopedia, it has 64,263 entries in Gurmukhi.
Mahan Kosh PDF by Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha
Mahan Kosh was the first Punjabi Encyclopedia with more than 70000 words written by famous Sikh Scholar Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha.